Monday, January 18, 2010

I get paid to do this!!


As we we're being whisked away to Whistler today for orientation, we hit the open road of the Sea-to-Sky highway and for the first time since I've been here I felt a bit of calm. The Olympics are only 25 days away and the closer it draws near to opening, the more chaos that reigns behind the scenes of the bus companies that are orchestrating this bedlam. I mean it's almost laughable how one person "in charge" will give us information only for someone else to step up and say ignore that we don't actually know the details yet...there are no facts in crazy town, just rumors and falsehoods. I actually wouldn't have it any other way. There is no apparent planning, just...chaos. However, I do have some inkling as to what my job might entail:
A) I'm living and playing amongst the athletes and snow in beautiful Whistler
2) I'll be transporting mostly Security staff about town and to/from Vancouver
C) I'm gonna love every minute of it :)

Being in Whistler is going to be fantastic as that's where most of the action will take place. There are over 500 free olympic events scheduled right in the middle of this most idyllic ski town. We tried to run routes today but since none of us have our credentials yet we were mostly stopped by the RCMP's and given stern warnings. That was all well and good but I was salivating to go skiing. Bad knees be darned, I will be hitting the slopes of Whistler and hitting 'em hard. There are actually two mountains to ski and an aerial tram that takes you between the two peaks. I imagine great views from up there. I'll let you know. :) Sure, there's no training, no information, no logistical logic, no schedules, no information, and no promise left kept but when you get to end your days in places you'd never imagined but always hoped for it makes it all worth it!! :) :) :)

1 comment:

  1. You are used to the very scheduled organized RCT. Sounds like you are having a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete